Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Catching Up

I've been doing a lot of this lately....


This has to be the yummiest chair for napping I've ever had.  It's perfect for two people to snuggle up on a cold winter day.  I don't even have to coax Nick to nap with me.  This is our afternoon routine right after lunch.  I enjoy it so much that I don't want Winter to end!

Our beastly Beagle has been enjoying the snow.  Today he saw a raccoon in the backyard and went nuts chasing it up a tree and marking his territory all over the backyard.


We had a nice celebration meal for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  I cooked all day making Enchiladas Suizas, Chicken Mole, Menudo, tacos, rice, beans, and bought Mexican sweet bread for dessert.  I invited our associate pastor to dinner.  We enjoyed having him over and he led us in a decade of the Rosary prayed in Spanish.  

cilantro ready to be chopped
I also did a lot of baking last week for our parish bake sale.  I have a go to recipe for holiday bread that I've been making since I was either 12 or 13.  I forget.  It is a Finnish Coffee Braid made with ground Cardamom, braided, baked, and drizzled and decorated with white icing, candied cherries, and silver dragees.


All packaged and ready to be delivered.  I made 12 loaves for the parish and 8 baby loaves
for giving to friends and family.
MNVA sponsored a holiday field trip at the Depot in Minneapolis.  This is a fun venue for ice skating.  The girls were excited to skate at an indoor rink!




The girls also decorated and entered a gingerbread house in a contest held that day.  They didn't win.  First place went to a giant hobbit hole made of gingerbread and frosted green.  It was quite impressive!


Over the weekend, I took a trip to Atlanta for my sister, Nora's, graduation from her Master's program.  It was a relaxing weekend watching tv, sleeping in, and catching up with her.  I needed the break so she was quite accommodating.  This week finds us busy before the holiday break with concerts, projects, and buttoning up school work.  Gabe asked for a Christmas party with his friends so I spent this morning putting together a Christmas table for the food that will be served.  He and his friends will be sledding, decorating cookies, and possibly watching a movie.  He's so excited to be a host for a change.  He couldn't believe I agreed to have the party.  As a result, he's been super cuddly and kind, finishing his homework in a timely manner, and doing his chores.  

We've also been enjoying our Magnificat Advent Companion, the last few ornaments of our Jesse Tree, and starting the O Antiphons.  I get so excited for these last days of Advent, but I have to slow my thoughts and anticipations down to really absorb the richness of the season.  Besides there are 12 days of Christmas to enjoy, relish, bake, and celebrate.  There's no need to rush.....all will be well and as it should be!

Finnish Coffee Braids

2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 c. lukewarm water
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1 t. ground cardamom
2 eggs
7-8 c. flour

Glaze
2 c. powdered sugar
3 T. milk
1 t. vanilla

Scald the milk and pour over butter, sugar, and salt which has been placed in mixing bowl.  Stir to dissolve and cool to lukewarm.  Meanwhile, pour yeast over 1/2 c. lukewarm water and stir to dissolve.  When milk mixture is cooled, mix in yeast, eggs, cardamom, and 2 cups of the flour.  Stir with electric mixer for 2 minutes scraping sides of bowl.  Gradually add in remaining flour and knead with electric mixer for 8-10 minutes until dough is formed and leaves the sides of the bowl.  Turn dough out and place in greased bowl turning once to grease both sides.  Let dough rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.  Punch down dough and divide into 4 parts.  Divide each part into 3 additional parts.  Roll each part into a long rope about 10-12 inches long.  Braid 3 strips together to shape bread.  Tuck ends and allow to rise an additional hour until doubled in size.  Bake loaves at 315 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Drizzle glaze over warm bread.  Decorate with candied cherries and silver dragees.  Makes 4 loaves.

2 comments:

  1. Grace, I was getting worried with no recent posts, but, my goodness you have been so busy! Your girls look like expert skaters, I really do wish I could ice skate, but not much practice to be had in Florida for ice skating :) Wishing you a blessed Christmas ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. The kids love to skate and prefer pond skating to rink skating. I guess the whole thought of falling through the ice is so death-defying to them. My kids are creepy like that!:) Have a blessed Christmas, too!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...